One of Audi’s four Russian-doll sedans, the redesigned 2019 A6 is both instantly familiar and radically different from its predecessor. Initially available with a single drivetrain choice, and in Premium, Premium Plus, and Prestige trim, the new Audi A6 is clearly similar to the vehicle it replaces. But major differences include a completely new approach to the company’s Multi-Media Interface (MMI), a light-electrified hybrid powertrain, and more sophisticated driver-assistance technologies.
- Plan to gut Obama-era auto mileage rules is getting dialed back, report says January 21, 2020Instead of capping mileage and tailpipe greenhouse gas emission requirements after the 2020 model year, the EPA and Department of Transportation plan to require annual 1.5 percent increases in the stringency of those requirements for 2021-26 vehicle fleets, Bloomberg reported.RYAN BEENE and JENNIFER A. DLOUHY
- Tesla reaches settlement with Michigan over ban blocking sales, report says January 21, 2020The electric-vehicle maker filed suit against the state in 2016 seeking to overturn its ban on auto manufacturers selling directly to consumers. An announcement of the accord is expected as soon as Wednesday, Bloomberg reported.GABRIELLE COPPOLA and DANA HULL
- U.S. Commerce Dept. won't turn over auto import probe report to Congress January 21, 2020Congress inserted a provision in a spending bill last month demanding the White House turn over the long-secret report that President Donald Trump used to declare some unnamed imported autos pose national security risks.DAVID SHEPARDSON
- Honda to join White House initiative to boost job training January 21, 2020The automaker joins more than 400 other companies, including Toyota and General Motors, that previously agreed to offer education and training opportunities for U.S. students and workers.DAVID SHEPARDSON
- Uber tests feature allowing some California drivers to set fares January 21, 2020Uber drivers ferrying passengers from airports in Santa Barbara, Palm Springs and Sacramento can now charge up to five times the fare set by the company, Uber said.
- Mitsubishi investigated for suspected illegal defeat devices January 21, 2020Mitsubishi cars equipped with 1.6-liter and 2.2-liter diesel engines are being investigated over the possible use of an illegal defeat device, German prosecutors said.
- Tesla created demand for electric vehicles, but mostly for Tesla January 21, 2020The number of EV models on the market will swell almost sevenfold to 121 in the next half decade, from 18 now, according to LMC Automotive. But the researcher sees all those vehicles claiming just 5.5 percent of U.S. sales in 2025.KIETH NAUGHTON
- GM’s Cruise to unveil first car built to operate with no driver January 21, 2020The vehicle Cruise has been developing along with GM is a purpose-built electric, autonomous model designed to be more spacious and passenger-friendly than a human-driven car.DAVID WELCH
- Tesla rebuffs NHTSA recall petition, blames short-seller January 21, 2020Tesla said the petition was "completely false." Brian Sparks, who is currently shorting Tesla stock, according to CNBC, submitted the petition in September.
- GM's Corvette auction nabs $3 million for Detroit Children's Fund January 20, 2020Rick Hendrick, founder of Hendrick Automotive Group and self-avowed Corvette junkie, was the winning bidder in the GM charity auction.KURT NAGL